PEX Plumbing - In Line split and pin hole leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddie780

Reaction score
Brand of PEX in Home - ZURN PEX

Good afternoon - really looking for some help and advice. I have scoured the forums and have read and seen comments on NIBCO and other brands but not ZURN.

I have had three inline splits and leaks within the last 60-days. All have been on the hot water red PEX. Two were within 10-15 feet of each other. We are the original owners, the home was built with a hot water tank and recirc pump. The home is now 12 years old. Fortunately, all leaks have been in the crawl space and found in a short time frame as our crawl space is encapsulated and we store items in bins underneath. Spotting wanter leaks is some what easy when the access is the low spot so any water runs down stream to the pump by the door.

Anyhow, three repairs made and a claim and sample of cut out material sent to ZURN. I have heard back form them and pasted their response at the end of this post. After reading his response, my questions are this.

1. Does having a recirculation pump make a difference?
2. We replaced the tank with a tankless 2-3 years ago (Navien) which has a built in recirc pump and we have it set at 120F

My fear is if something fails inside the house and we are not here and causes significant damage. What should I expect, advice on what to do? I had a group I trusted come and and quote replacing all the Hot and Cold exposed PEX through to the 1st floor bathrooms and water connections in kitchen/Laundry for $3,300. I thought this was a fair price given that the home is 4200 square feet with 2.5 bathrooms, laundry and kitchen on the ground level. I would rather not do that but nervous about what might happen if I dont?

Mr. Roth,

I have received your warranty claim form signed December 8, 2020. I would like to schedule a time to discuss your claim after we have had a chance to inspect the pipe submitted. In the meantime would you please advise if your system is on a recirculation pump and the setting of the hot water tank? Are the leaks on the hot or cold water side and please advise how far apart? I will follow up with you to schedule a call for next week.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mike Ge****

Corporate Claims Manager

111 W Michigan Street

Milwaukee WI 53203

Office (414) 643-****

michael.ge****@rexnord.com

Fitter30

Reaction score
At least they reached out. Ask for a rep to come out. Did you install or a plumber? Might want them to get involved but it's out of their warrantee.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope all works out! no insight as to why the splits from me. please keep us posted on how it proceeds and hope some other help comes on here. I wonder if warranty pays labor or just material

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Get yourself one of the water monitoring devices. They go on the main and can supposedly shut off water in the event of a leak.

Freddie780

Reaction score
Get yourself one of the water monitoring devices. They go on the main and can supposedly shut off water in the event of a leak.
Do you have a link or a recommendation to one of these devices? Intrigued but not certain where this gets installed at?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
As an example, Moen's product is called "Flo"; it is a whole-house shutoff so it would be installed in the supply line where it enters the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a link or a recommendation to one of these devices? Intrigued but not certain where this gets installed at?
Are you asking if the device should be installed so that it also shuts off the water to the yard, instead of just the house?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks