Washer machine in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Ulbin3

Reaction score
My sister in law bought a small cottage in Massachusetts she is gutting the whole house and its going to be a complete renovation for all the plumbing.
In the basement the sanitary pipe leaving the building is around 22"from the floor above the code of 6"- 18" of a washer machine stand pipe trap.The original builders just rough in the trap around 26" not sure how it passed inspection.
What is the solution for this situation? The obvious answer for me would be to install a pump into a utility sink or move the washer dryer to an upper floor.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m a fan of those little basins with a sump pump in them. They can save a lot of money in certain situations and save a bunch of work. I think it would work great here since you don’t have to grind sewage or anything and it’s just moving water basically.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was my house Id leave it at 26 put an 18 inch stand pipe and decide from there whether to use a seperate box for the waste and put the water lower. Id try to make it look good . but no Im not going to put a pump in . not my house Ill do it on someone elses and get paid for it. I want to do good job but installing a pump just adds another mechanical thing to fail

Ulbin3

Reaction score
I’m a fan of those little basins with a sump pump in them. They can save a lot of money in certain situations and save a bunch of work. I think it would work great here since you don’t have to grind sewage or anything and it’s just moving water basically.

Reach4

Reaction score
In the basement the sanitary pipe leaving the building is around 22"from the floor above the code of 6"- 18" of a washer machine stand pipe trap.The original builders just rough in the trap around 26"
Could you clarify? I don't understand what you are saying.

Ulbin3

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200825-070810_Chrome.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
There are millions of homes in the NE built during the 50's and 60's where the sewer connection was usually somewhere half way up the basement wall. The same as the home I grew up in and the washing machine drain was alway high above the main trunk. You'll probably find that the inspector will let it pass. If not it is very easy to add a utility sink with a basin pump. They are very reliable and a utility sink is extremely convenient to have in the basement.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ulbin 3 sounds like we have a failure to comunicate ! are you pumping because the trap is a few inches high? or because there is no waste line whatsoever in basement? If waste comes into the house 22 inches off floor above how would your toilets and bathtub drain? So you most certainly are not clear . please clarify as nothing looks obvious to me here

wallhanger

Reaction score
Speaking as an older person with arthritis, if the house is being completely gutted, (and I assume cottage means small) is a stacking washer and dryer setup on the ground floor worth consideration?

Ulbin3

Reaction score
There are millions of homes in the NE built during the 50's and 60's where the sewer connection was usually somewhere half way up the basement wall. The same as the home I grew up in and the washing machine drain was alway high above the main trunk. You'll probably find that the inspector will let it pass. If not it is very easy to add a utility sink with a basin pump. They are very reliable and a utility sink is extremely convenient to have in the basement.
Screenshot_20200825-165138_Messages.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks