Replacing Multi-Family Sewer Line Under Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

GCProp

Reaction score
I own a 7 apartment multi-family building built in 1974. Sewer line is cast iron. We have clogs frequently and it appears cast is corroding. I know it's only a matter of time before I will need to replace it. Problem is, the building sits on a slab. It's also fully leased. Line runs left to right down the full length of the building, servicing each apartment one after the other until it exits the building under the right side wall. So, unless there's a new replacement method I'm not aware of, I'll be cutting up the slab inside each apartment to install a new PVC sewer line along with feeder lines to each drain (2 baths and a kitchen in each apartment). And then once new plumbing is installed and concrete poured I've got flooring to replace. So this is going to be a lengthy project. I can't envision how to get this done while tenants are living in the building. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you camera'd line to make sure it's rotting? If it's grease, you can start with something like Bio-Clean, which is harmless to pipes but deadly to grease buildup. It turns fats into carbon dioxide.

If you're cutting slabs, some of those pipes may be several feet underground. You will be lifting up tubs for access and redoing bathrooms. There won't be any usable plumbing for at least a month, as far as I can tell.

GCProp

Reaction score
Haven't sent a camera down the pipes yet. Definitely a good idea BEFORE cutting up the slab! I have had to replace some of the cast coming out of the kitchens because of corrosion holes in the cast. The Bio-Clean looks interesting and I'll definitely give it a try before doing anything else. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
So this is going to be a lengthy project. I can't envision how to get this done while tenants are living in the building. Any suggestions?
How about a new sewer line across the front yards or back yards? Cut each unit to the new sewer one at a time. The others use the old sewer until their turn comes. Just a thought you could discuss with your engineer/contractor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks