Reverse Osmosis Draining Hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin_IL

Reaction score
We recently got an R/O system and wanted it in the basement since we dont have room under our sink for it. It's close to the fridge just upstairs. The problem is we don't have a place to drain. The only drain pipe nearby is the main drain for the house to the city hookup.

As a temp solution we are draining to a kitchen drain pipe up in the ceiling but the system makes so much noise (thumping) when its running I'm assuming because it needs to pump the drainage upward instead of it flowing downwards.

My question is, what's the best way to drain this in this situation? Can I connect to the main house drain pipe shown in the picture below? Not sure it is allowed or a good idea.

Thanks for any recommendations here.

b2ln-lfKRueKdTKscCeZjw.png

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is, what's the best way to drain this in this situation? Can I connect to the main house drain pipe shown in the picture below? Not sure it is allowed or a good idea.
It could probably be done, but I would first check for alternates. Do you have a laundry sink or floor drain down there? Do you have a sump pump? Even if you have to run a distance horizontally to get there, those would work.

If done, you could probably a standpipe in that kitchen drain pipe. You could maybe even put a removable standpipe where the cleanout plug is. Either would need to have an AAV. I am not a plumber, and I have no RO experience. The standpipe could be maybe 1 inch PVC, but parts, including pre-made airgaps and traps are more available in 1-1/2 inch.

Don't invest this effort before making sure that when you temporarily drain into a bucket that the noise stops.

Not directly related to this problem, but I was wondering if you feed the RO with softened well water.

Kevin_IL

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll try putting this in a bucket first to make sure that stops the noise.

We are on city water but it is softened.

I can connect to the sump pump which is near but I heard that's not necessarily the proper way to drain it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can connect to the sump pump which is near but I heard that's not necessarily the proper way to drain it.
I don't see why there would be an objection to that, as long as there is an air gap. That is nice clean water. However just because I don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks