Re: Bathroom Repair: Unique MPT x Female Sweat Adaptor;
Posted by e-plumber on July 15, 2004 at 10:19:37:
In response to Re: Bathroom Repair: Unique MPT x Female Sweat Adaptor;
: I am working on a damaged drain line in a bathroom. The damaged 1 1/4" chromed line goes into the wall. There is a 1-1/2" galv 90 inside the wall. Screwed into the 90 is a 1 1/2" brass MPT x 1 1/4" female sweat adaptor buried. A 1 1/4" chrome tail piece is sweated into the brass adaptor.

: I need to determine best practice to repair this. I may be able to sweat the damaged pipe out but what do I put in it's place? A standard 1 1/4" chrome drain pipe would seem to work but I cannot sweat chrome.

: Another option is to put a reducing fernco coupling on the 90 and adapt back to Pvc for the P trap assembly. The problem is I would have to bust out a large portion of the wall to tighten the fernco.

: Or I could sweat out the damaged pipe and remove the brass fitting but it is smooth (no hex to grab). Is there a plumbing tool which could be used to extract the mpt x swt adaptor out of the 90. Some type of extractor tool?

: Thanks!

Reply:
It sounds like you have a utility trap, some plumbers will refer to it as a Milwaukee trap, but usually they are 1-1/2", not 1-1/4".
It is basically a chrome tube with 1-1/2" male threads on the end that would screw into the galavnized fitting in the wall. The other end has a 90 and a u-bend which forms the trap.
I would cut it out of the wall and install a complete new trap of the same design.
e-plumber

Replies to this post