Re: mildew smelling water
Posted by e-plumber on July 09, 2004 at 07:12:31:
In response to Re: mildew smelling water
: I have scanned several forums, and this problem is a recurring one. I replaced a kitchen faucet and then started to notice a mildew smell in the first 10 seconds of water discharge. After 10 sec or so it'd gone. I don't get this with the hot water line, or in the bathroom sink, shower or toilet. I have replaced the supply hoses from the shut-off to the new faucet, but the problem still persists. I seems to occur in the warmer spring and summer times and stop in the cooler fall and winter times. I have narrowed it down to the faucet and supply line, and not the drain as some posters are telling others. What is this? Can it be solved?

Reply:
It would be practically impossible for a (new?) kitchen faucet to cause a mildew odor, especially if the odor wasn't present before the faucet was replaced. If you have a garbage disposer or longer than average slip/tubular drain fittings from the strainer to the drain trap, I would bet that's the source of the foul smell, seen it before numerous of times. There could even be a leak in the wall, (on the kitchen drain line) that could be giving off the stench.
e-plumber

Replies to this post