Re: Shower drain 28" from P-trap?
Posted by Mike on June 20, 2004 at 13:00:36:
In response to Re: Shower drain 28" from P-trap?

Okay, guess I won't be quitting my day job to become a plumber. I think I understand what you're saying. I believe the diagram below is what you're saying.

Thanks so much for your help!

Mike

: Nope. The vent is connected below the level of the trap outlet creating an "S" trap that is subject to siphonage. If the vent were off the pipe out of the trap, and rolled above its plane it would work, but I do not think you have enough space to do it that way.

: : Okay, I'm learning here I think. Thanks. How about this option?

: : Mike

: :
: : : Not a good idea. The waste can splash over into the vent and eventually plug it, and there is no way to snake the portion of drain from the "vent" tee to the 3" waste. Any snake would jump across the opening and either go to the trap or up the vent depending on where it was inserted.

: : : : Thanks so much for your replies. I think I've come up with a solution but just need to verify. See image below and let me know what you think.

: : : : Thanks!

: : : : Mike

: : :
: : : : : : Hello!

: : : : : : I'm currently remodeling my bathroom and have a dilemma. Please see photo below. As you can see, the 3" line (marked 4" on the photo but actually 3"), gets pretty much in the way of the desired location of the new drain.

: : : : : : I'm wondering if I can have about 28" from the drain to the P-trap. I am upsizing the pipe to 2".

: : : : : : Thanks!

: : : : : : Mike

: : : : : Reply:
: : : : : The trap needs to be directly under the shower strainer for a proper installation. The red lettering that is marked "Vent, (I think)" needs to be confirmed. It looks to me that you will need to open the cement floor some more, cut a new 3" X 2" wye, a vent tee and install the trap. If the drain trap is 28" from the shower strainer, the section of piping can give off foul odors. Besides, it doesn't look like it would cross over the 3" that's there now.
: : : : : e-plumber

Replies to this post