Re: High Water Pressure
Posted by e-plumber on May 25, 2004 at 13:00:06:
In response to Re: High Water Pressure
: I have a 60 year old house at the bottom of a hill with very high water pressure. Water was coming out of the piping for the tpr valve on my hot water heater. I turned down the temp. and almost completely closed the main shutoff valve to slow the pressure down but I'm not sure if it was wise to do that. I've heard of pressure reducing valves, expansion tanks on the hot water heater, etc. but was wondering what is the proper fix to my high water pressure.

Reply:
Partially closing the main water shut off valve will cause no harm except to reduce the water volume, it will not reduce the water pressure in the system. A Watts U5-B will regulate incoming water pressure to bring it within normal range which is under 80lbs. The U5-B can handle 300lbs. incoming pressure (from the source). A thermal expansion tank on the cold feed to the WH also may be need depending on the incoming water pressure. The bypass feature in the U5-B may not work if the incoming water pressure is too high.
Have a professional check your system to see exactly what you need, each situation is different.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.