Re: Whole house water pressure
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on May 02, 2004 at 10:46:45:
In response to Re: Whole house water pressure
: : Sylvan is a mechanical engineer and while he sincerely wants to help you understand your situation, sometimes he comes across as heavy handed. Let me add my 2 cents.

: I (just me talking) consider 40 to 80 PSI as the acceptable range of household pressure. I work in an area where everyone is on city water, not wells.

:
: Many people find 40 to be a little low as far as showers and kitchen sink go. Here is where Sylvan's explanations become important: You would get a lot more flow from a 1" service, 1" meter, 1" main feed into the house, than from a 3/4 service, 5/8 meter, 3/4 house main. So these variables do come into play.

: That said, I set the regulator for a single story house at 60PSI, 2 story building 65, and 3 story situation 70. These numbers make most people happy.

: In your case, you said you had 81PSI. My question is does this pressure ever go higher than 81, maybe late at night or early morning?

: Being on the high end, I would automatically replace washing machine hoses with braided stainless steel. If you have shut-of valves under your sinks with integral spiral metal riser pipes, these valves and risers should be replaced with more reliable material.

VERY good Call Jimbo except one thing I have to menthion.

I am not a Mechanical Engineer I was a Stationary engineer prior to becoming a Certified unfired pressure vessel and low pressure boiler inspector

Also I had quit school at 16 and joined the navy at 17 and thus during my 3 year enlistment I took my GED and worked on high pressure boilers with super heated steam 1,200 PSI

Having loved the mechanical aspects I took on welding and other aspects of pipe fitting.

When I was discharged, It was a day before my 21st so I ended up in the employ of UA Plumbers local 2 for a 5 year apprenticeship 10,000 hours plus 744 hours class room studies.

After working in the field for 5 ears I was eligible to take the masters 4 part exams.

I was also fascinated with the mechanics that made a plant work like HVAC, environmental control, and went to OU to take several courses all relation to these fields.

The OSHA training started around 1971-1974 one of the 1st classes given at that time.

The best part about plumbing is the more you learn
the more you find you dont know.

It is an amazing field offering lots of rewards to those who take it seriously.

I also happen to like hydronic heating and fire suppression systems and am also licensed for these fields, Member of the NFPA, and study ASME section IV and NBBI.

But in formal education nope no mechanical enginnering degree here. Id say it is 70% hands on and 30% reading BUT thank you for your kind words.

Replies to this post
There are none.