Re: Rough in plumbing access hole.
Posted by hj on April 27, 2004 at 23:34:38:
In response to Re: Rough in plumbing access hole.
Exactly. In fact, the "access hole" would have to be removed anyway because it would be in the way of connecting the tub drain.

: : : We're currently building a home with one of the "custom homebuilders" in our area. We've been schedualed to move in mid june '04. One of the features that we've asked for is rough-in plumbing for a future 3pc bathroom (tub/shower, toilet & sink). When the basement floor was poured, an 8" round access hole was placed in the cement for the tub drain. The access hole is not in the location specified in the blueprints for the drain, nor is it above the under-slab pipe. To confirm my measurements, I cracked out the gravel in the hole until I found the pipe, which happens to be several inches to the side of the access hole. The builder has responded that the customer must break the cement out when the bathroom is developed, and that this is standard industry practice. Are they making this up to avoid fixing the problem? Shouldn't the access hole have been placed over the pipe at the location specified in the blueprints?

: : : Replace "&" with "@" to email me.

: : This is standard practice. I however usually box out a 12" square. The horizontal line can be run to where you need. The p-trap must be located EXACTLY under the tub waste and overflow. Since tubs vary in width, there is no way to know exactly where the p-trap would need to be located. So, standard practice is to box out an area, then, when the tub is installed run the trap arm and install the p-trap in the correct location for the tub you install.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: I've seen basements with an area boxed out. I had assumed that the access hole was the equivalent of the "boxed out area" you mention.

: Just to ensure I've understood you correctly... You're saying that the access hole is basically only to mark the general location of the rough-in drain, and it is expected that I will have to break out the floor exactly where the tub drain is in order to install the p-trap etc. ie, the access hole doesn't matter because I'm going to have to break out a larger area anyways.

: Thanks,
: Darcy

Replies to this post