Re: Bath tub needs special waste shoe
Posted by e-plumber on April 27, 2004 at 19:28:08:
In response to Re: Bath tub needs special waste shoe
: We are remodeling a bathroom for a house built in '62. Since we purchased a few years ago, the old tub waste shoe never drained empty--there was always water standing in the shoe. I am replacing the bath plumbing but have found when I install the new waste shoe, the bottom of the tube at the shoe outlet is about 3/8" higher than the bottom of the tube at drain attachment. So if I install the new equipment, I will still have water standing in the shoe. The tub is reasonably level, if anything settled down slightly to the plumbed end. From the crawl, I can put a level against the bath drain opening and it does tilt up toward the front. The only thing I can imagine is that there must have been a waste shoe available at one time that was angled for the angled tub attachment and, if mounted on a standard tub, it would have angled down and away. This was replaced at some time by a standard shoe and there has been trouble since. Aside from casting a wedge shaped washer out of silicone, which I am trying to do, can anyone offer suggestions for a product or solution?

Reply:
Sometimes the drain shoe (pipe) needs to be cut to allow the tub waste to be installed square and plumb to meet the angle of the existing bathtub. Another possibility would be that the bathtub flange could be slightly defective causing the drain shoe to slant and hold water.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.