Re: Testing Gas Pressure
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on April 11, 2004 at 13:49:32:
In response to Re: Testing Gas Pressure
: We have installed a 120' 2" gas line and have put the system on test. After tightening and re-tightening all of the fittings the pressure gauge was reading just over 15 PSI for approximately 2 hours yesterday afternoon and then gradualy dropped the next morning to 13.5 PSI. Is this within the norm? Do I have something to worry about? Must I go through the line again to check for leaks or am I ok with the read?

: I ask this question as our previous piping length of 120' was a combination of 2", 1 1/4", 1" and 3/4" but we were able to maintain 15 PSI for days. Thank you for your input.

NYC requires a GAS test to be held for 1 hour BUT pressure changes do occur.

There is something called pressure temperature relationships as the temperature rises so does the pressure as the temperature drops so does the pressure (like a car tires)

Best way to know if you have a small leak or temperature fluctuations is take the ambient temperature and look at the corresponding pressure and then check later temperature and pressure.

With the old 10- 15 minute tests this was not so much a problem BUT leaks sometimes turned up at later dates.

Replies to this post