Re: installing garage floor drains
Posted by Paul on April 03, 2004 at 17:34:03:
In response to Re: installing garage floor drains
: : Hello All:

: : I am in the process of designing a 2 car garage that I will start construction on shortly. It will be heated and insulated (I live in New Hampshire). Because I want to be able to wash my car in the winter, I am hoping to install some floor drains. They will only see gray water from vehicle washing.

: : My State Dept of Environmental Services has recommended against a dry well, due mostly to the fact that if anything bad gets in the dry well, no one sees it and it just quietly contaminates the ground.

: : The man suggested that I discharge the drains to the surface. How would this be done? Does anyone out there have any experience with such a set-up. How do you keep it from freezing up in the winter? How do you keep the animals out? I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with any experience in this area. Thank you very much.

: : Nick Brodich

: Reply:
: Without a pumping system, it would be impossible to install floor drains (on level ground) and have them drain onto the surface of the ground. Is it possible to tie the floor drains into the sanitary system inside the house?
: A licensed plumber would advise you best after seeing the conditions and piping layout.
: e-plumber

Check Local Building codes for to see if garage floor drains are allowed. Under The National builing Code for Residential work. The 2000 IRC I believe that floor drains in garages are specifically NOT allowed due to the fact if gasoline were to find its wayt into the drainage line basically it becomes a bomb. If ignited. Garage floors must have a positive pitch to the garage door. Again, check local code since not all states have adopted the 2000IRC. But,eventually it is likely all will.

Replies to this post
There are none.