Re: rough in work for a shower
Posted by ace on March 24, 2004 at 15:24:04:
In response to Re: rough in work for a shower
Thanks for the help. Your assessment has cleared things up. Regarding your question, I can't see the drain pipe underneath the shower, since the cement slab has already been poured. Even if the drain pipe is only 2", will I still have a problem if the vent pipe (1.5") is attached underneath the slab to the shower pipe (2"), as Deb suggested? (i.e. I would be moving the shower from its current position ~ 3 feet which is within 5 feet of the vent; assuming its connected underneath the slab to the shower pipe)

Ace

: Deb's advice is always sound advice.

: You should check with a local plumber or local code expert (or manual).

: The idea with a couple of 45s is to get a "sweeping motion" for your drain. There are also long sweep 90 degree elbows. But if you can glue a short piece of PVC between the 45s and reshape the sweep to flow wider that would be better.

: Do you know if the drain under your rough-in is a three inch pipe? Some codes permit 6 feet from trap to vent with two inch pipe. Others permit 10 feet with 3 inch pipe but the exception is the toilet. Usually that's limited to 6 feet (from flange to vent).

: Vents are normally sized a minimum of one-half the diameter of the drain pipe. For example, with a three inch drain (pipe) you could have a 1 1/2 inch vent under some codes. Best to check it out locally.

:
: : : I would like to add a shower, toilet and sink to the in basement. The contractor had completed the rough in work for the bathroom, however I noticed that for the shower there is only a horizontal stub (2" pipe) in an opening in the concrete. The pipe has a short sleeve on it and is capped. I assume they left it this way sinceI also have the rough-in completed for the toilet and sink which are all against the same wall as the shower. There is one vent line that attaches to the sink. I have several questions:

: : : 1) Do I assume that there is a trap for the shower? Or do I have to add one?

: : : 2) I would like to move the the position of the shower drain, 3 feet and 90 degrees away from where the horizontal stub is now. Is is ok to add a 90 degree tutn to the drain pipe for the shower?

: : : 3) Is one vent pipe (1.5 inches) enough for the shower, sink, and toilet? They are all on the same wall, all within 10 feet of each other

: : The shower does not have a p-trap. Depending on what code you are under, moving the shower 3' may well put your trap too far away from your vent. UPC limits the distance from the trap to the vent to 5' (2" drainage line). I would not use a 90. I would use 2 45s if you decide to move.
: : UPC code requires a 2" vent on a toilet. The trap arm lengths are as follows:
: : 1-1/2" 42" 2" 5' 3" 6'.
: : However, since the vent for the toilet and the vent for the shower must originate below floor level, if this was roughed in, it should already be vented.

: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.