Re: Cast Iron Patch
Posted by Gary Swart on March 14, 2004 at 13:49:00:
In response to Re: Cast Iron Patch
: : : In the process of an inspection for a 100 year old home we are trying to buy, we were shown a hole in a cast iron drainage pipe (could we waste or roof drain not sure), which is right at the foundations entrance. First, are we able to "patch" or cut out area of damaged Cast and replace with PVC for a temporary fix or will we have to replace entire length of cast iron pipe? Secondly, if we can indeed patch areas of cast with PVC can we do so at foundation line (we are aware of having to uplift cement either way, not concerned with that issue)?
: : : House is an absolute gem and dont want to pass because of a costly issue if we could temporarly get buy until funds are more available..The first time buyer no money thing you know lol)
: : : Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
: : : Thanks
: : : Shanesmom2

: : As an older woman who has purchased numerous houses in her life, I would urge caution here. This is most likely just the tip of the iceberg. Has anything in the house been updated? Other plumbing, electrical, heating? Going into a 100 year old house without even the money for a fairly inexpensive repair is probably not a good idea.
: : You cannot actually make a "PVC patch" to repair this. You can cut out a section of cast and replace with a section of PVC and use no hub couplings. However, if this is right next to the foundation, you will not be able to get a coupling on. Not sure what you mean when you say that you are aware that you have to uplift the cement. Why isn't the seller taking care of this? I am sure that if you have a mortgage, this is going to have to be taken care of properly.
: : Again, since you are a first time home buyer, I want to urge caution. It is really easy to fall in love with the charm of an older home, but when you have sewage coming up through a hole in the drainage line, alot of that charm will go away. Or when the ancient furnace quits working or the electrical needs to be replaced or the water pipes spit out rust... Just make sure that you are really truly aware of what you are getting yourself into and the costs involved with an older home.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: I certainly go along with Deb's suggestions. And unless you can obtain this "charmer" for many, many $$ less, your better to put off buying until you can actually see your way clear. A house this old is surely to keep wanting you to put $$$ into it, which you will never recover.... IF, you had lots of dollars to throw around, then yes, go for it, but without too much $$$ forget it. Sorry, but thats the way I see it.. Hube

Besides money, you'd better be able to do most of the work yourself. No offense to the pro plumbers that post here, but if you have to hire a plumber, carpenter, or electricial to do everything that needs fixing or replacing, you will end up broke! These are skilled journeymen, and they get paid accordingly. Better re-evaluate.

Replies to this post
There are none.