waste ejector drain problems
Posted by JJ on March 07, 2004 at 16:31:42:
I have a waste ejector system for my bathroom basement. It worked fine for two years. Then, the drain pipe (between the ejector basin and the main house drain) failed. After the unit flushes, there is a "kick" (due to a pressure change?) in the pipes. This would cause a joint to come loose and then, well, you know what happens.

This has happened twice. And in the same place. As the drain leaves the basin vertically, it twists twice´┐Ż once horizontally and then again vertically, then goes 7 feet straight up to a line that runs into the main drain. At the horizontal to vertical turn, there is a black rubber/plastic sleeve, that is secured (sort of!) with metal clamps. That comes loose due to the kicking in the pipes.

Part of the problem appears to be that the long vertical PVC pipe that runs up from this joint is not really secured to anything. I wonder if the pipe was anchored better to a stud, if the "kick" wouldn't put so much pressure on the joint.

I'm also wondering if there isn't some better way to re-inforce the joint as well. Could it be as simple as tightly wrapping it with some duct tape?

I realize it might be hard to visualize what I'm talking about, but any advice that can be offered would be appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.