Should a sink overflow be holding standing water?
Posted by ConnieC on February 26, 2004 at 19:35:20:
I continue to try to get to the bottom of why the sink in my main floor bathroom smells. With your help I might be making progress, but now I need some education. It was suggested I check the overflow for crud even though it is a brand new sink. I am not good with the vocabulary here, so please bear with me. Water was running into the overflow at the back of the sink just fine, but most if it wasn't coming out. Looking down the drain I found three of the four holes where the water from the overflow connects to the drain completely sealed with caulk. I pried off the caulk and opened the holes as best I could, and water now runs through them pretty well. However, each hole seems to be holding about 3/4" of standing water. In other words, there is a dip that goes below where the overflow hole comes into the drain, and water is sitting there. Is that supposed to be? What is a normal overflow like? Does it hold standing water? If it's not supposed to, how do I fix it? And do you think it possible that those sealed up holes could be causing my sink to smell?

Thanks!

Replies to this post