Re: pipe noises
Posted by e-plumber on February 13, 2004 at 23:53:43:
In response to Re: pipe noises
: I am a 30yr old plumber living in Boston, Mass. We here have recently experienced a really cold spell and a lot of old water mains are being replaced and it seems to me that water pressure is rising in a lot of houses. This message is in regards to houses with larger water mains (ie: 1 1/4", 1 1/2"). I went into a house that the plumbing system was making a very loud moaning noise is the best way to describe it even if no faucets were being used or anything. This problem stumped me and 2 of my associates until I put a pressure guage on the potable water system and sure enough the pressure would hang right around 80psi wich is real high anyway then drop 10 psi to about 68-70 psi and rise again. While it was rising the moaning noise would occur and particulary at the kitchen - bathroom tees. I ended up solving the problem with a pressure reducing valve and putting at about 55-60 psi. I wanted to share this to see if anyone else in the area has seen this problem anywhere else?

Reply:
The moaning noises are strange. It is normal for the water pressure to drop 7-10lbs., lets say when a toilet is flushed then rise back up. 80lbs. is high but I can't see where the noise would come from if no fixtures were leaking or toilets running. Code requires a PRV for 80lbs. and above, so installing the valve was the right thing to do.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.