Re: Well pump
Posted by Hube on February 05, 2004 at 16:25:57:
In response to Re: Well pump
: : : My well pump recently went out {after 22 years} and when i replaced it i could not find a 1/3hp 10 gpm pump anywhere. I installed a 3/4hp 10 gpm and now the pump turns on/off 3-4 times when i flush a toilet. I turned the breaker off to the pump and ran all the pressure out of the fawcett. I then measured the PSI on the 15 gallon "pre-charge" pressure tank = 0 psi. The side of the tank said "precharged to 30 psi" so i pumped it up to 30 psi and threw the breaker back on. She pumped back up 50psi on the gauge. The pump still comes on/off 2 times while flushing a toilet. The pressure switch is set fo 30psi on 50 psi off. My question is... Why when i flush a 1.6 gpf toilet does the pump need to come on. Should'nt a 15 gallon tank suffice at least a few flush's? Thank you in advance for you reply and time.
: : The pressure tank usually only holds 25-30 % of the tanks rating. Example; A 20 gallon tank will allow approx.5-6 gallons of water to enter it. A "low flush toilet (1.6 gallon should flush roughly 3-4 times with-out the pump kicking in with a FULL tank.. It seems like an adjustment to the Bladder pressure is required. First ,drain the tank completely (Pump power off),then check what the bladder psi is. Put air in until it is 2 psi below the cut-in pressure. Let us know how you make out. Hube

: Wow. thsnks for the fast reply!!! The marking on the square D pressure switch say 30 on 50 off so i adjusted the precharge as you prescribed from 30 psi to 28 psi. Now the pump kicks on during the 2nd flush{fill up}. Heres my big theory,,, (uh-ohhh)----> even though the switch says it kicks in at 30 psi... according to the gauge it really kicks in around 26 psi. Should i drop the pressure down to 24 psi? I'm not trying to sound lazy but it took me approx 25,0000 pumps with an old bicycle pump to reach 30psi. AGAIN,,,, thank you very much for your advice.
Mike Your better to let some air out (down to 24 lbs.) then IF your pressure gauge is correct, you will operate at 26/46..BUT,if you want to just leave the 28 lbs in ,you can adjust the switch to accomodate this 28 lbs, which will be a 30/50 setting... To make this adjustment, turn the pump power OFF. Remove the switch cover, turn Large nut CW to raise BOTH the cut-in and cut-off pressures. Turn the Small nut CW to raise cut-off ONLY. Probably a 1/2 turn will do it. Check the pressures (power on) after each adjustment. Note; A 30/50 setting is best for most systems. Let us know how you make out. Hube

Replies to this post