Re: Shower drain open buy won't drain
Posted by e-plumber on January 25, 2004 at 13:27:28:
In response to Re: Shower drain open buy won't drain
: Experts:

: Here's a doozy. We had a recent cold spell snap and I thougght that our show drain trap had fronzen due to its proximity to an exposed wall.

: I've heated the floor beneath the show drain and no change. Still clogged solid.

: I took the shop vac to remove the standing water and sucked up a monster hail ball from the trap. Drain still is block, not even a trickle.

: I did the store brand (Ace) drain opener thing. No change.

: I have snaked the thing to death and cannot get snake any further down the drain but maybe 3-4 feet. No change.

: I bought one of those hose end rubber gagets that expands in the pipe and with water pressure pushes the clog down the drain. Works well, getting a good seal and water is running down the drain (when I push it) via some path (maybe the vent?). When I release the pressure from the hose, water gushes up the drain, I suspect from the height of the water column pushed up the vent. No chage. Drain still clogged.

: I have run hot water, cold water, etc. No change.

: The vent is in the attic so I can't be full of snow etc. All other drains on that vent circuit drain well.

: When I vac all the water from the shower drain, I can hear (up from the clogged show drain) the other drains below the upstair shower on that circuit draining....seems to be an open path somewhere.

: I'm ready to try the acid based drain opener but I am stumped.

: Help....

: Rick

Reply:
I would suggest hiring a professional at this point. The fact that you can hear the other drains functioning when you wet vac the water from this clogged drain doesn't make sense, unless you're hearing noise from the vent line. Never use chemical cleaners for a clogged drain, I will not yell at you about it, but it is definetely a no-no, it could actually make the clog worse and more difficult to work on it.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.