Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
Posted by ED on January 23, 2004 at 20:52:13:
In response to Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
If you signed no contract, it's his word against yours. Did you pay the bill? You could go to arbitration with people who specialize in that or have an attorney step in, but that may not be worthwhile.

Orangeburg pipe does not last forever either. Try and negotiate with him. You could tell him you will report his practices to the BBB and other state and local authorities, if he doesn't come clean.

It should be a lesson learned by BOTH of you! Use a contract. He could (might be able to) place a mechanics lien on your home if you refuse to pay him or work it out. Depends on the laws of your state.

: I recently had a plumber come out and auger my sewer line for preventive maintenance. I had not been experiencing any problems, but have had problems with roots in the past, so I try to get it done once every year or two. The plumber got his auger stuck and has charged me over $1300 to dig up the sewer line, remove his auger and replace a piece of the line. The sewer line was orangeburg pipe and the plumber has told me that it was colapsed and he has no liability. Other plumbers have told me that he probably blew a hole in the line with his auger and should be responsible for everything above and beyond his normal charge. There was no existing clog and I never signed anything. This was the third time in 5 years I've used the same plumber and he never warned me that there could be a problem with the old pipes. Any comments?

Replies to this post
There are none.