Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
Posted by GregO on January 23, 2004 at 15:37:38:
In response to Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
My initial reaction is to side with you. If my ladder falls through a customer's window, I'm responsible for that, not the customer. "Oh, but the window was already falling out". Of course it was. Granted, some situations need clarification or, most unfortunately, disclaimers.

I've seen situations where a plumber, through no fault of his own, "ruined" some piping because, while they appeared intact, they were in fact already destroyed. In that case, sure, the homeowner should assume full responsibility. Unfortunately, there are as many dishonest homeowners as there are tradesmen. Maybe you should be responsible for some of the charge, but certainly not all of it.

Greg

: I recently had a plumber come out and auger my sewer line for preventive maintenance. I had not been experiencing any problems, but have had problems with roots in the past, so I try to get it done once every year or two. The plumber got his auger stuck and has charged me over $1300 to dig up the sewer line, remove his auger and replace a piece of the line. The sewer line was orangeburg pipe and the plumber has told me that it was colapsed and he has no liability. Other plumbers have told me that he probably blew a hole in the line with his auger and should be responsible for everything above and beyond his normal charge. There was no existing clog and I never signed anything. This was the third time in 5 years I've used the same plumber and he never warned me that there could be a problem with the old pipes. Any comments?

Replies to this post
There are none.