Re: Basement Toilet back up
Posted by Deb on January 23, 2004 at 11:56:39:
In response to Re: Basement Toilet back up
: I have a basement toilet and shower that was in place when I bought the house. In the past couple of weeks, when the toilet is flushed, the contents back up into the shower drain about two feet away in the opposite direction of the drain flow. After a few seconds, the back up subsides. There is no problem with the drainage flow in the shower. Can someone tell me where to start investigating without getting an expensive plumber in? Obviously there must be an obstruction reducing the flow in the drain to the sewers. Can I do anything without removing the toilet? I would appreciate any advice at all.

: Kevin

You have a partially clogged drain. There is little option but to have it power snaked. Do not use chemicals. They do not work, leave caustic substances in your lines and are hard on snaking equipment. If you have no cleanouts to use, you will need to pull the toilet to gain access to the line. Power augering equipment can be dangerous in the hands of a novice. And it takes experience to learn to negotiate the turns and bends in a drainage system. You might want to reconsider calling in a plumber.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.