Re: Leaking faucet
Posted by Deb on January 16, 2004 at 17:06:40:
In response to Re: Leaking faucet
: I live in the currently freezing Northeast!! I had a frozen pipe for my cold water in the kitchen. I thawed it, using the hairdryer method, and the water began to run. However now when I turn the faucet to off it still runs, not full blast but off is no long off. Is it possible that there is still ice in the line? Another fact here is that the faucet in the sink was not open while I was thawing the pipe, I was turning it on every few minutes to check the thawing. Could this have cause my faucet to adjust itself somehow now not know where off is?
: Thanks for your help

I would be inclined to believe that when the water froze and thawed, it caused some debris (that is on all interior pipe walls) to break off and get caught in the faucet stem/cartridge/whatever you have. You will probably need to disassemble and flush.
Not leaving the faucet open then thawing did not cause this, however, when you have a frozen pipe, keep the faucet turned on. The pressure of the water that is not frozen helps break up frozen parts and get your water flowing again.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post