Re: Removing plug from roughed-in tub drain?
Posted by hj on January 07, 2004 at 12:07:06:
In response to Re: Removing plug from roughed-in tub drain?
They are test plugs, and loosening the nut would normally release them. Since they have been installed for such a long time, the rubber has probably lost its resiliency and thus will not shrink when the bolt's pressure is released. Put the nut back on partway so nothing comes apart and falls down the drain. Then pull the plug while wiggling it to see if you can get it to unstick from the drain. You might also tap on the bolt to see if that loosens the bottom half of the plug.

: About 9 years ago, when our house was being built, we asked the builder to have the plumber install a bathtub and the rough-in plumbing to go along with it. But the budget was running tight, so we left that bathroom unfinished.

: Now I'm finally getting around to finishing the bathroom. Looking at the tub, I find that there's some sort of a metal plug installed in the drain, and a similar plug in the overflow. The plug has a flat top surface with the marking "TAYLOR-PLUG(R)" and a patent number. It also has a tab sticking up out of the center.

: The tab looked like I could grab it with a pair of pliers and turn it to twist the plug out, but I found that the tab itself is attached to a threaded screw, and turning it just removed the screw from the center of the plug. The plug itself wouldn't budge.

: Is there some special tool I need to remove these plugs so I can get on with the finish plumbing work?

Replies to this post
There are none.