scott@doremus.us
Posted by Scott Doremus on January 05, 2004 at 15:31:02:
Hi-

I tried to install a 2" shower drain (Oatey caukless) by myself (with a new Sterling shower insert) and it ended up leaking, I believe, because I did not have enough 2" PVC protruding up through the new drain for the gasket to seal to. I had to rip out the ceiling below to view what I was now facing and it's not pretty. It is a maze of 2" twist and turns with one single 12" straight stretch that I have to work with. I had to install (from above) a couple of 22 degree couplings to meet a 2" offset requirement so all I have are a series of various ( 90 degree elbows, etc...) fittings between the 12" straight piece and the drain itself. It all has to be reworked just because there was not enough straight 2" PVC left at the top for the drain to grab onto. In addition, the original installation (the U shaped trap below the drain) protrudes below the furring stip for the ceiling drywall below. I dont know how the drywall ever went up.

So, my questions are these:

1. Can one use flexible PVC for shower drains of this diameter? Is it legal? If so, here do you buy it?
2. What is the purpose of a u-shaped trap below a second floor shower drain that you can't even get to? Can it just be a straight run?

Your help is much appreciated.

Under Water in Massachusetts

Replies to this post