Two water pressure reducers?
Posted by Larry on January 02, 2004 at 10:10:04:

I have had some floor damage due to a leak tht would occur when the pressure peaked in my area ususally in early morning or afternoon while I was asleep or at work. I found that my pressure reducer valve had evidently failed. I installed a gauge on a faucet and found that the pressure in early morning was going up to 160PSI. The water company said that the main line at my house sometimes has 230 PSI. I put in a new reducer (Watts N250B) and it holds most of the time at about 53PSI without any adjustment. The literature with the Watts said it will handle pressure up to 250PSI. Overnight, pressure peaks at around 60-65PSI with the new valve. I noted that the Watts website recommended two PRV with high pressure. Would that really be beneficial and extend the life of the PRV? My last one lasted less than four years. I have not adjusted the new PRV as some folks have said you should not monkey with the factory settings. Is it okay to try to reduce the pressure forward or would fiddling with the adjustment cause some problem with the PRV? Do I still need to keep ther pressure reduction tank as I may run into a problem with space if I install another PRV? Thanks.

Replies to this post