Re: Excess Water Pressure
Posted by hj on January 01, 2004 at 08:39:31:
In response to Re: Excess Water Pressure
Youneed the expansion tank. There is no problem with adjusting the pressure setting. I don't know what material the line to your house is, but you might consider a second PRV located at its beginning near the water meter so the excess pressure doesn't damage your supply line.

: I recently experienced a ruptured line in the bathroom with subsequent buckling of the chipboard subfloor. A couple of weeks later the T & P valve of the water heater started squiring out about a half gallon of water in the early AM. I bought a pressue gauge which peaked at about 175 PSI at 5:00AM. I put in a new pressure reducing valve. Now, my pressure seems to be peaking at about 65PSI usually staying around 55PSI. I also found my WATTS pressure gauge I just bought was off about 15PSI so the pressure was probably peaking around 150 PSI earlier. The water company says we sometimes have up to 230 PSI in the line in my yard although I have no way to measure it before it goes through the PRV.

: Would it be a good idea to put in a second pressure reducer? As the other failed after less than four years, a WATTS N250B, I am concerned the new one may fail suddenly, especilly if I am out of town and I will experience another flood. The new WATTS I installed is also a N250B which is supposed to handle pressure up to 250PSI. The WATTS website indicates two PRVs are appropriate to use with high pressure. I also have not attempted to adjust the new PRV as some folks have said it is better to not change the factory setting although the factory directions seem to indicate it is fine. Can I benefit from two PRVs and is it alrlight to monkey with the settings? Should I also leave in my expansion tank? Thanks.

Replies to this post
There are none.