Bendable copper tubing used inside walls????
Posted by Bronson Beisel on December 29, 2003 at 19:36:48:
Hello ladies and gents - another plumbing question from me... Yesterday I removed the drywall in the bath we had gutted (well, I should say "almost" gutted since we had left most of the drywall up in the toilet/sink area). Anyway, when I removed it to expose the supply lines, I found what I *think* is a mess left by a previous DIYer.

It appears that the second bath, which abuts this bath and shares the wet wall, was placed where there used to be a laundy room. Inside the wall, I found an unused and sealed cast iron drain line at washer height and galvanized hot and cold supply.

Here's kicker #1 - There is copper tube connected DIRECTLY to the galvanized hot and cold lines!

Kicker #2 - The copper lines aren't ridgid - they're "bendable." There are lines running from these galavanized supply lines to 1 sink, the washer, and the toilet. The lines bend and snake through the walls and around corners until they get to their destinations. I thought I saw a This Old House episode where the god of plumbing, Richard Tretheway, was pointing out that in the US you can't just bend copper if you want to turn. You must use an elbow. The point was that in England, water pressue is so low that you CAN bend copper there...but not here.

Anyway, my question is, can this bendable copper be used safely? I plan to replace it anyway, but my friend (who owns this home) asked if it was even up to code. I don't think it is, but I wanted to ask the pros! Thanks to everyone for your continued assistance. Your answers to my questions have been invaluable!

Replies to this post