Re: PRV is regulating too much!
Posted by Deb on December 27, 2003 at 19:01:31:
In response to Re: PRV is regulating too much!
: : : We recently had to have the main water line to our house replaced. Afterwards the water pressure increased for a while but then went back to what we had before replacing the line. About two weeks ago it jumped up extremely high. I was concerned about this harming the house pipes so I called the plumber that installed the main line. I was told that our PRV probably went bad. They came out - we did not have a PRV so they installed one - $400.00 later. Now, the pressure is terrible. The plumber told us that we could adjust the PRV to regulate the water. We tried but there was no change. The plumber came out and adjusted the PRV as wide as it would go. Then he checked the PSI from the city main, which is 90 and the house PSI is 75. But, the pressure is considerable lower. Any suggestions?

: : The PRV is not regulating too much. 75 PSI is at the top end of permittable pressures.
: : I don't quite understand what you are saying. You say the house is 75 psi and the next sentence says the pressure is considerably lower? Where is it lower? How much lower? How do you know it is lower? Where did you check it? Is everything affected? Is this a volume problem? Did you clean all areators after the work? Has the screen in the PRV been checked to make sure it is not clogged? PSI is PSI.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: Deb:

: First off, let me say that my husband was the one dealing with the plumbers and all this is second hand information to me.

: My husband was told by the plumber that we are getting 75 psi in the house. Yet, it is visually obvious, as well as personally experiencing, that there is a drastic decrease.in the water pressure. Yes, everything is affected.

: I am not sure how I can distinguish between volume and pressure. Honestly, I am trying to understand but wouldn�t pressure move volume?

: I guess the bottom line is that if 75 psi is considered very �good� and we are not getting anywhere close to �good� that I should call the plumber back. I was hoping I could come up with some answers possible solutions on my own.

: Madonna

Where was it tested to determine that you have 75 psi inside the home?
What kind of water lines do you have? If debris was allowed to enter the main line when the work was being done, you could simply have debris in every fixture. I have been called after homeowners have repaired lines and let mud and sand get into the open lines. Sometimes everything needs to be disassembled and flushed. Remove an aerator and see if there is debris there. See if the pressure is better with no aerator. Make sure that all valves are fully open. Old gate valves can sometimes seem like they are open when they are not--the handle can become separated from the gate and the handle will turn and turn and turn...
There are no magic answers. It is simply a matter of investigation. What has the plumber said about this? You might want to see exactly how much water you are getting from your fixtures. You could put a bucket in the kitchen sink, turn the water on full blast, run for 1 min. (time it), and see how much water you get.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.