Re: Loose Brass Closet Flange - demo and remodel
Posted by e-plumber on December 24, 2003 at 09:43:26:
In response to Re: Loose Brass Closet Flange - demo and remodel
: Hello again - my third question regarding a bath remodel we are doing. We have gutted the old bath and removed all of the tile (Those Hilti electric hammer drill/jackhammer things are a dream!), the old vanity and sink and the old toilet.

: It looks like that some point in the history of this house, a previous owner replaced the closet flange. I found a brass closet flange that was not even connected to the floor! The flange is sitting around a thin wall pipe of some sort that is then connected to cast iron about a foot or so below the sub floor.

: It appears that when someone did the repair, the removed what I assume was the original cast iron drain line and original flange and put in this thin wall pipe that is connected to the cast iron (The thin wall pipe and the cast iron have about the same inner diameter - obviously not exactly the same - but close). They slipped the brass flange around the pipe before installing it. Really, all that is holding the brass flange in place is this piece of pipe. I still can't believe they never fastened it to the floor.

: My question is this: What should we do? Should we remove whatever that pipe is that is running from the cast iron to the flange (I can't tell what it is, but it appears to be metal), replace it with PVC, somehow hook the PVC to the cast iron, and then install a new flange?

: OR

: Should we leave the brass flange and metal pipe in place? I am concerned that the flange is loose and basically moves up/down and around? Even if I screw it to the new substrate, I still can't see how there will be a good water-tight fit between it and the pipe it sits around. Surely a wax seal can't be counted on to make THAT seal water tight? I guess the previous owners were thinking that. I'd rather do this right than quick, so any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Reply:
The closet flange is brass and the piping is most likely lead. That was the most common way of connecting a toilet to the drain piping back in the day, it is still used today in some underground rough-ins.
The closet flange should be soldered to the lead (although, bending it over the flange was done a lot), the flange should be secured to the floor.

Depending on the condition of the lead and how much you want to spend on the remodel would determine if the toilet drain needs to be replaced with PVC, connecting it to the cast iron.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays. e-plumber

Replies to this post