Re: load and smelling shower
Posted by Deb on December 23, 2003 at 11:35:54:
In response to Re: load and smelling shower
: I am looking at a house for sale that has had two new showers put in in the last year. Everytime you flush the toilets in the baths there is a rumbling water/gurgle sound coming from the shower drain. I assume from this sound that they plumbed the showers with the existing soil pipes in the baths. Is this bad? All the drains and toilets seem to be working fine. The house was built in '79.

: Also there is a slight smell, not all of the time, but you get a wiff every now and then. The smell is not a strong sewer gassy smell, just a slight damp smell. Someone mentioned that there may not be traps in the showers, but if that were true, wouldn't there be a really nasty sewer gas/sulfer like smell all of the time?

: Any ideas/comments/suggestions welcome!

Generally when you can hear the drainage through another fixture, there is no water in the trap. The water could have simply evaporated if the home has been vacant for some time. I have been in places that have almost no sewer gas smell from their drains and others that you could hardly replace a toilet without a gas mask.
It is folly to buy a home without an inspection of the plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roof and foundation.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.