Re: Removing cast iron drain line
Posted by e-plumber on December 18, 2003 at 10:54:11:
In response to Re: Removing cast iron drain line
: Hello-
: I am about to begin renovating a 50's era bath with a friend in her home. In the part of the bath with the tub, there was once a sink on the wall opposite the tub. The previous owner removed the sink but left the hot and cold supply lines and the drain with trap in the wall. The lines are still connected to the supply and waste system under the house as well.

: The supply lines will be removed when we run new supply lines to replace her galvanized supply lines. However, I am wondering what to do about the cast iron waste line. It runs from that sink (or where that sink used to be) down to the main drain line. Nothing else runs into the line.

: Can I cut it and cap it, or is there some other way it must be removed? If I can cut it, how do I cut it? I read a post here where the poster mentioned that he rented the device needed to cut the cast iron. Would a hacksaw work?

: I have no idea why the previous owner removed the sink, but I do find it odd that he left the drain line there with the trap. I haven't checked, but I assume he somehow plugged the trap to keep sewer gas from coming up.

: Anyway, thanks, in advance, for all of your help.

Reply:
When the previous owner removed the lavatory basin, he/she should have just plugged the branch fitting. The drain "trap" should not be inside the wall.
If installed according to code, there should be a vent line above the drain stub out, unless you plan on moving the wall, the vent should remain connected.
If you disconnect the piping completely, the lavatory vent and drain connections should be terminated at the point in which they tie into the existing drain and vent piping.
A hack saw will work, but a recipricating saw will work a lot better and faster.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.