Re: Portable wash machine
Posted by Trapped on December 14, 2003 at 12:51:15:
In response to Re: Portable wash machine

: : Live in third floor apt. Simply too old to do laundry in basement. Bought Kenmore heavy duty portable. Two hoses from back of machine attach to one gadget which attaches to faucet spout. Water drains into sink from bottom hose in gadget. Water flows into washer from top hose in gadget. When washer is filled and it "shuts off" the inflow, water pressure till I get to the faucet to turn off the handle, causes leaks under the sink, probably from the sink sprayer. and also wears out the washers in the faucet more quickly.
: : 1. If I fill the washer by pouring water directly onto the clothes, will it still "shut off and start agitating" at the proper water level?
: : 2. Will any of the water back up out of the hose inlet I won't be using? In other words, can I cut the hose where it connects to the machine and redirect it directly onto the clothes without having to "plug it" at the back of the washer?
: : Thanks-
: : P.S. I will probably have lung cancer some day from all the "spraying" I do :-)

: Reply:
: >P.S. I will probably have lung cancer some day from all the "spraying" I do :-) <
: ...God Forbid

: That was a very odd statement.
: It sounds like you're flirting with disaster with the WM hook-up. The plumbing in a typical apt. is not capable of having a portable WM.
: Pouring water into it instead of using the WM's solenoid valve will be basically impossible with the different wash cycles; fill, wash, rinse, etc.
: Some faucets are not designed to be under constant pressure when the "gadget" is hooked up to it, it sounds like it may be damaged already.
: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the WM should not be used unless it is approved by the landlord(?) and the plumbing is rearranged by a licensed plumber.
: Good Luck. e-plumber

Where there's a will there's a way. It's not a lot of water under the sink. I lined the cabinet with plastic sheeting and all of the plastic is draped into a large plastic storage container. Temporary solution that has gone on too long, though. This machine doesnt really cycle like more permanent models? I guess I need advice from a repairman that knows how the inside of the machine is designed.
p.s. any longtime apt dweller knows what I mean by "spraying." :-)

Replies to this post
There are none.