Re: Have been given a choice
Posted by Deb on December 10, 2003 at 10:30:41:
In response to Re: Have been given a choice
: Ok.. We found a set of dead ended pipes in the wall when we pulled off the drywall in order to get to the studs to build a shower in our new bathroom ( seems that the formers might also have been thinking of a shower as a some day plan. While they are in a good area for the shower they are in a difficult area to make a heated based ( copper) connection according to the plumber so I have been given two options. Open up the other side of the wall with a rather large opening and have him sweat the connections or have him use some sort of compression connection. Any HUGE reason I should open up the wall and have it done that way. The guy seems fine with either but I am looking for opinions.

Hi Maddie,
Yes, compression fittings should NEVER be put in an unaccessible place, like inside a wall. There are actually very few places a good plumber cannot solder. We have heat shields, spray stuff to protect other materials, and lots of homemade things that work for us. 1/2" pipe also heats up fairly fast, making it a quick solder joint. Just how inaccessible does it look to you? I have a hard time believing that if the walls are open and you can see the pipes that it would be impossible to solder there (I am not there and cannot see it however).
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.