Re: Can closed fill valve damage a furnace?
Posted by e-plumber on December 08, 2003 at 20:13:13:
In response to Re: Can closed fill valve damage a furnace?
: I had my furnace(gas/forced hot water) serviced last year. As the winter went on I noticed a banging when the circulator motor would kick on. It got progressively louder as time went on. Well, spring came and I forgot about it until it was time to have it serviced again. The serviceman told me that the water fill valve was closed resulting in loss of water to the unit and asked me if I had turned it off. He also told me that I needed to replace 2 zone valves,1 relief valve, and 1 fill valve. $531.00. My question is this: Could the refill valve, being closed for 1 year, have caused or contributed to the repairs that needed done?

Reply:
I believe that you received a good explanation, (12/7/03) to your original question about this matter.

I can understand replacing the auto feed / relief valve.
I too would question why both zone valves were defective at the same time, that is odd. If the noise from the circulator was connected to the feed valve being left closed, the system would have had to be extremely low on water and/or the circulator water cooled to cause damage to it.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.