Re: faucet seat won't come out
Posted by e-plumber on December 03, 2003 at 15:53:14:
In response to Re: faucet seat won't come out
: I want to replace the faucet washers and seats in a 35 year old stall shower. I can't get the seats off (i think they're original). The inside of the seats seems to have rounded out and the wrench will not grab. I also noticed metal shavings on the wrench so I stopped. I then used a seat tool to try and smooth out the seat, but could not get it very smooth, plus I was afraid of removing to much of whats left of the seat. I put everything back together so I could turn the water in my house back on, but now it drips worse than before. If I use an easy-out, how much danger is there in cracking the part the seat screws into? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Reply:
I have never used an easy out to remove a faucet seat. The wrench set that I use has assorted sizes. On very stubborn or stripped seats, I use the square tappered wrench, I tap it in very snug and it digs into the brass seat, 99% of the time it comes out.
If you feel comfortable trying this, go ahead but keep in mind if you damage the faucet body, you're going for a complete faucet replacement.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.