Re: attic water lines
Posted by PW on December 03, 2003 at 11:28:21:
In response to Re: attic water lines
Greg,

That should be more than sufficient. I am in Lower Delaware, just a bit south of DC and have a similar situation. My atic lines are over 80 feet and wrapped with foam insulation and a few inches of loose insulation on top. You will be surprised at how much heat is retained in the insulation from the rooms below. One word of caution, don't leave for a long winter vacation and set your heat way back (bottom of the scale) or you may have a problem.

: What would be sufficient insulation for 10 feet of cpvc water lines that run through an attic space. They run parallel to the heat duct and are currently wrapped with pipe foam (R-1 maybe?) and are topped with R-19 batt insulation, which I plan on doubling.

: I live in the Washington, D.C. area where temperatures usually don't go much below freezing. At least they didn't until last year when I had a p-trap freeze. I've seen crawl space pipes that were only wrapped with about 1" foam wrap and nothing else. That seemed a little skimpy, although a burst pipe in a crawl space is preferable to an attic spring.

: Thanks.

: Greg

Replies to this post
There are none.