Re: Replacing a one piece tub/shower and surround.
Posted by hj on December 02, 2003 at 18:15:45:
In response to Re: Replacing a one piece tub/shower and surround.
The tub goes in first and fits between the bare studs. Then the drywall/greenboard/cement board is placed on the walls and is fitted down to the tub rim. Finally the surround is mounted on the wall surface. It will be questionable if the new tub will fit the old drain location, regardless of which one you install.

: We have a leak coming from somewhere in our shower area. We were planning on replacing the shower soon, anyway, so we've just moved it up. My question is about measurements. We have an alcove style surround and tub.

: The bathtub/surround measures 58" X 31". (wallboard to wallboard) It seems to me like there is no wallboard behind the surround and tub itself, to get to the measurements of a 'standard' opening. (IE, before the wallboard, the actual opening was 60X32.)

: If we install wallboard behind the surround and tub (per instructions for using the adhesive), I'm worried this will push the tub off center as far as the plumbing is concerned, or it won't even fit into the opening.

: Any advice? Or are tubs that are a 'standard' size of 60X32, not actually that size? (but close)

Replies to this post
There are none.