Re: Mysterious Sulfer smell at only one sink
Posted by Mike on July 29, 2003 at 21:46:05:
In response to Re: Mysterious Sulfer smell at only one sink
The water has evaporated out of your sink trap, which allows the smell to come back up out of the sink. Run water in the sink periodically to keep the trap full to prevent the smell from escaping through the sink.

: Hi, I have the same sulfur smell in one sink also, but the strange thing is that we never use this sink. It is part of a wet bar and we barely even run the water. The whole house can smell like rotten eggs, which usually happens at night or when we are not home. The smell comes and goes. I paid $100 to a plumber to find out it wasn't a plumbing problem, they think it is in my walls. I don't think so. Anyhoo, if you have any other suggestions or comments I'd be glad to hear them. Can I pour clorox directly down the drain? Thanks for the helpful hints, it is good to know I am not the only one who smells. Laura

:
: : What was causing the smell??

: : : Right after leaving the first notice about this sulfer smell, I went upstairs, shut off the water supply to both hot and cold water under the sink,and disconnected the supply pipes right under the faucet. I drained as much water from the pipes as I could and filled the pipes with Clorox, which I left in for about 10 minutes. Then I reconnected the water supply hoses and flushed the system for about 3 minutes. NO SMELL FOR several days now! I would suggest that people try this before buying expensive filtering systems!

Replies to this post
There are none.