Re: sillcock replacement
Posted by Anna Log on July 05, 2003 at 22:53:15:
In response to Re: sillcock replacement
: I want to replace a sillcock. Tightening the nut no longer stops the drip; it's limed up too badly. The problem is that I have copper tubing and this thing has been in place for at least 30 years. I know that if I try to unscrew the sillcock the only thing I am probably going to accomplish is that I am going to break the tubing at the nearest tee joint. I crawled to the site in the crawl space and discovered that there is a larger size copper pipe threaded to the tubing. What should I do? I'm inclined at this point to resign myself to the drip.

Use a liberal dose of penetrating oil and tap the sillcock lightly with a hammer. Be careful not to deform the piping. After a few minutes, repeat the process. Then, use a pipe wrench to hold the pipe, while using a large open-end wrench (for better leverage) to turn the sillcock. It should break loose so that you can unscrew the sillcock.

If you can't get it off and have enough exposed pipe between the wall and the sillcock, cut the pipe with a hacksaw just behind the joint. Deburr and clean the pipe and sweat a new (female?) fitting on the pipe to accept the new sillcock. Or, install a sillcock designed to be directly sweated to the pipe. If you don't want to sweat the joints, you may be able to use compression fittings.

Good luck,
Anna Log

Replies to this post
There are none.