Re: PVC repair coupling
Posted by Deb on June 29, 2003 at 15:42:19:
In response to Re: PVC repair coupling
Mission bands, Fernco's, no hubs installed correctly do not have rough edges to trap the waste.

Deb
The Pipewench

: Is this Mission band coupling the same thing as a Fernco coupling? Wouldn't this solution also have rough edges inside that would trap waste? I'm looking for a premanent solution so I can put the drywall ceiling back up.

:
: : Go buy 2 3" Mission band couplings & a chunk of pipe.

: : : he coupling needs primer and you would have to be the fastest person alive to be able to prime, glue, and slide 2 3" repair couplings into place before both of them froze in position. In addition you use the cement immediately after the primer, not 5 minutes later.

: : : : Hello All,

: : : : I have a lateral run of 3" PVC drain pipe that had a small hole drilled in it (don't ask). I picked up a pair of 3" repair couplings and a length of 3" pipe to try and repair the area.

: : : : After several attempts and an expanding section to be replaced, I can't seem to join two pieces of pipe together that don't leak when a drop of water runs across the joint.

: : : : My question is am I missing something in my procedure? I slide the couplings onto the new section I am putting in, I prime (purple) the outsides of the pipe surfaces I am going to join. I wait 5 minutes for the primer to dry. I liberally apply PVC cement (blue) where I primed. I quickly slide the coupling across the joint and am barely able to get a quarter turn before the whole thing sets up. I wait about 30 minutes and run a little water through the pipe and voila - it leaks...

: : : : Do I need to prime the inside of the coupling? I didn't think that would be a good idea because I heard that the primer kinda gets the PVC to swell a little and I fear I wouldn't be able to slide the coupling when I needed to.

: : : : Since I seem to be PVC challenged, could I just use one of those rubber couplings with the hose clamps? (the pipe is in the ceiling of a finished garage)

Replies to this post
There are none.