Re: Cycling well pump
Posted by Hube on June 20, 2003 at 18:02:03:
In response to Re: Cycling well pump
: Does the pump have a storage tank? If not then the pipe is too small accept the full discharge and that causes the pressure to build up to the cut out point, but then drops to start pressure immediately causing the cycling. Even if you have a storage tank, the air pressure in it is either too high or too low for your pump's settings.

: : I have a well pump that is used for irrigation only, and it has been cycling from day-one. I am not sure which is worse for the motor and/or pump: cycling (constantly going on/off) or running continuously for < 1 hour at a time.

: : I think that cycling is worse as the pump should be able to take an hour of work without a problem. Any thoughts?

: : Thanks! Either way is a strain on the pump. Running it continuously would atleast be better than cycling on-off every 30 seconds or so. At least when the pump is running steady it is being cooled through it s own circulation stages. The hardest job for a pump(sub)is a short cycle of less than 1 minute, because it never gets a chance to "cool" down after a start-up, and then its called on to start again. Hube

Replies to this post
There are none.