Re: Remodeling bathrooms - drain and vent question
Posted by Brian on June 17, 2003 at 23:55:57:
In response to Re: Remodeling bathrooms - drain and vent question
: : Hi,
: : I'm remodeling 2 bathrooms that are back to back and mirror images of each other. My plan was to use 2" pvc to drain both tubs and both vanities. My question is, is a 2" pipe large enough to drain all 4 fixtures? My other question is, do I need to put an additional vent between the tubs and drain which is about 22" away. (Please see attached diagram)

: : Thanks in advance.

: : Brian

: No, you cannot run it like this. There are several things wrong (UPC Code). You have 2 p-traps on 1 trap arm--can't do that. You may be able to use a double fixture fitting for the tubs and another for the lavs. The 2" pipe is not large enough to wet vent the lavs. Two lavs require a 2" drainage line and you must upsize 1 pipe size, so you would need 3". You may be able to use a double fixture fitting for the tubs and another for the lavs. The vent must be within 42" of the lav's p-trap.
: Deb
: The Pipewench
: Deb
: The Pipewench

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm still a bit confused about what to do though. You said that I can't have 2 P-traps on one arm, but that I could use a double fixture fitting. What do you mean by a double fixture fitting?

You said that the 2 lavatory sinks need a 2" drain line, which is what I had planned to do. But I didn't understand which part you meant needed to be upsized to 3"? Are you saying that the 2" drain for the sinks is fine, but that the vent above them needs to be 3"?

Brian