Can I remove a leaded closet flange, or do I need a pro?
Posted by John Frank on April 30, 2003 at 11:30:52:
Hi. I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. Everything is gutted and I have come across a problem. The old flooring was tile on a cement and chicken wire base from 50 years ago. It was about 1.25" thick. I removed it down to the subfloor, and was going to install hardibacker and then new tile.

The problem is that this will leave the bottom of the existing cast and leaded flange about 5/8" above the new tile. Very bad, I know. To further complicate the issue, I live in a split level and this bathroom is above my family room. I don't want to have to break out the ceiling in that room.

So, is this a job I can do myself? My skills are generally good, I am doing the whole bathroom myself. What tools will I need? How long will it take? Is it just easier/cheaper on a cost-benefit basis to have a pro do it?

The bathroom is only 6' x 7'. I've only spent $1200 on materials, so I would prefer to not spend a lot on a plumber to do this. If I have to, how much should I pay for this job?

One last thing - it was suggested to me to just build up the floor I need in a rectangle around the toilet, effectively making a little pedestal. I think this will look silly, but it would be a lot easier. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me.

--John