Re: Help with new bathroom in basement.
Posted by Deb on April 16, 2003 at 18:24:19:
In response to Re: Help with new bathroom in basement.
: I am installing a new bathroom in my basement ... a rather adventurous part of a larger basement renovation. I am going to put in a shower (36x36), wet bar, whirlpool bathtub, sink, toilet and a new floor drain. The laundry room was moved from its original location (not by me) and the new laundry room does not have a floor drain, so I am installing one. The tub is a massive 6'x4' two person whirlpool tub that has to sit on the slab for support.

: The main DWV is a 4" cast iron pipe that runs about down the centre of the bathroom location, so I have to run two branch lines on either side. I am probably going to use ABS for all the additions. On one side I will have 2" pipe connecting to the shower. Off the 2" pipe, I have a 1 1/2" pipe connecting to the wet bar. On the other side of the 4" DWV, I will have a 3" pipe connecting to the toilet. From the 3" pipe, I have a 2" pipe connecting to the floor drain. From the 3" pipe, I also have 1 1/2" pipe connecting the sink and tub.

: Venting is to a 2" vent from the toilet to the attic. All the other fixtures are connected to the 2" vent in the basement ceiling via 1 1/2" vent lines. The 2" vent will tie into the main vent in the attic.

: Some of the questions I have are:

: a) How does one keep the floor drain from drying out?
: b) I have busted up the floor already creating 6" trench. Is there an easy way to prepare the bed for the pipe to keep the 1/4" per foot slope?
: c) How about access underneath the bathtub and shower to connect up the traps?
: d) Should I worry about access underneath the shower and the bathtub after everything is installed? Best way?

: Since this is my first major adventure into DWV and help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.