Re: Iron-reducing bacteria in our water
Posted by Joe Beaman on April 02, 2003 at 23:20:50:
In response to Re: Iron-reducing bacteria in our water
: I've had such good luck with this site -- here's a poser for you!
: We bought this farm house in NY State - lots of sulfur in the rock - unable to extend the well b/c right now it's OK - tho' prone to drought problems. The toilets were getting black, and the slow draining shower stall leaves behind black residue. The former owner says it's iron reducing bacteria (I htink that's what she said). We have a conditioner attached to the system AFTER the iron reducing apparatus. She said we needed to add 6 GALLONs of chlorine bleach to the tank (30 gal) to offset the bacteria. That ALOT! There's filter that removes the chlorine. Is this something you can help with?

First of all, what type of conditioner do you have? Does it continually inject chlorine to the water stream? If not, then 6 gallons of chlorine is far too much for 30 gallons of water (typically, you use 2 gallons of chlorine to 100 gallons of water). Also, it sounds to me that your problem may be manganese related, not iron related. Iron and iron bacteria typically leave red to red-yellow stains. Not black. Also, lots of sulfur in the water bearing formation, huh? I would strongly suggest testing the water for arsenic. The presence of sulfur is likely due to the presence of the mineral pyrite. Pyrite often has arsenic in it's chemical matrix which is released as the pyrite degrades. If arsenic is there, and the pH is <7, then it will likely be a particulate problem that could be removed with a filter. If the pH is >7, then you likely have dissolved arsenic which will be more difficult to remove. Hope this helps.

Replies to this post