Pressure Regulator Valve
Posted by Bronson Beisel on March 26, 2003 at 13:08:05:
Last night we experienced a whistling noise from our plumbing. I adjusted the pressure regulator valve, and the whistling noise went away, but now we have low water pressure. I have tried adjusting the valve one way or the other, and I can't seem to get the water pressure back to where it was. So I wanted to ask, which direction does one turn the screw to increase pressure? Mine turns easiest counter-clockwise - is that increasing pressure?

Also, if the regulator is defective, can it be repaired, or is it best to replace it? If it needs to be replaced, is it something I can do by myself? I have removed and installed several toilets, two pedestal sinks, and several kitchen faucets, and replaced the flush valves on my toilets, so that's the limit of my plumbing experience. It looks like the regulator is connected by screw-type connections on either end, but I didn't know if this was a job for a do-it-yourselfer or not. Unfortunately, I cannot determine the brand of regulator because the builder painted over it when he was spray painting the garage.

Any help y'all can provide will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Replies to this post