Re: Replacing Galvanized Steel
Posted by Hube on February 24, 2003 at 18:17:47:
In response to Re: Replacing Galvanized Steel
: I'm in the process of redoing a bathroom in my house that was built in 1959. The majority of the houses piping is galvanized steel. I've gotten the bathroom down to the studs and need to replace the piping for the rough-in for the sink, toilet, and shower. I'm on a limited budget and cannot afford to have the entire galvanized piping system replaced with another more efficient type of piping. Thus, I'd like to go ahead and replace the existing bathroom piping with PVC or copper. However, I've read that joining copper to galvanized steel leads to increased corrosion. Thus, I suppose I'd be replacing it with a PVC or CPVC. My question is, "Is the coupling between galvanized steel nad PVC a sturdy and lasting junction?, And, What is the best way to join these two types of piping?" In the future I plan to replace the entire galvanized piping system, but for now I'd like to at least replace the bathroom fixtures while it's in the demolition stage. Thank you.
COPPER pipe & fittings are economy priced for water supply . ABS ,used on the drainage side is also very reasonably priced. I don't think you can afford not to use these materials. In the long run, doing it right now and you will be a lot better off ! Hube

Replies to this post
There are none.