Re: Any warnings for installing copper water lines?
Posted by Gary Slusser on January 16, 2003 at 10:09:24:
In response to Re: Any warnings for installing copper water lines?

: I apologize for using the term PVC loosely. I understand that it cannot be used in hot water applications. I'm not familiar with PEX - never heard of it. I'm not sure if the plumber -refuses- to use plastic. I think it's more of a matter of him preferring to install copper. I just don't want problems down the road and want to make a wise decision before it's too late.

No need to apologize, many folks use PVC for all plastics but it does confuse things. If you�re in the planning stages of building your house, specifics like plumbing materials can be chosen and/or changed. If the plumber doesn�t like or refuses to do as you desire, as long as the materials are approved by code, find another plumber. That doesn�t mean you go against solid advice from experienced contractors but, your plumber should be informed about the good and bad of the materials s/he suggests and uses (and honestly discuss them with their potential customers). If that�s not the case here and he is putting looks etc. ahead of serviceability, you may want a different plumber based solely on that.

PEX is great stuff and you can find a lot of info on it on the web or at a plumbing supply house. It is not approved everywhere for potable water line use, but in my opinion it should be. It has a long tract record of problem free use. It has been used in Europe for 20+ years and here for at least 5-10 years for all types of water lines; including in-floor and other hydronic heating systems. A quick search of the web and usenet newsgroups will provide you many days worth of reading material and opinions.

Replies to this post
There are none.